WORCESTER, Mass. – Suffolk volleyball slipped in non-conference play Tuesday night to Worcester Polytechnic Institute at the Harrington Auditorium. The setback came by set scores 25-21, 25-15 and 25-13.
SCORE: Suffolk 0 | WPI 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (15-7) | WPI (11-8)
SET ONE RECAP (25-21, WPI)
- The Engineers held a 9-4 edge early on.
- Suffolk pulled back within two, 9-7, behind three consecutive points.
- WPI responded with a 4-0 stretch of its own to regain a comfortable 13-7 margin.
- Down 19-15, the Rams made one last run with four unanswered points to level the playing field at 19-all.
- The teams traded points before the Engineers rattled off four straight points to seal the set.
SET TWO RECAP (25-15, WPI)
- A one-point stanza held true in the opening portion of the second set with the blue-and-gold down, 7-6.
- WPI sprinted out to a 14-7 advantage after going on a 7-1 stretch.
- Suffolk attempted a comeback and came within four, 14-10.
- The hosts handled things from there taking an 18-10 cushion before outscoring Suffolk 7-2 down the stretch to take the frame.
SET THREE RECAP (25-13, WPI)
- Suffolk trail 14-7 at the midway point.
- The distance grew to double digits 21-11.
- The Rams remained alive, but it wouldn't be enough as WPI tallied the final three points of the night to take the sweep.
- Kenzley Bell anchored the attack with nine kills to go with four digs and one block.
- Emerson Martin added six kills, two blocks and two digs.
- Kayla Barbera chipped in four kills, two aces, two blocks and one dig.
- Harmony Johnson registered 21 assists, eight digs, one ace and one kill.
- Suffolk and WPI renewed a rivalry, meeting for the first time since 2011.
Suffolk wraps up its four-match road stretch Saturday, Oct. 19 when it ventures to Keene State for a non-league tri-match. The Rams open action in the Granite State against UMass Dartmouth at 2 p.m., with the day closing versus the hosts Owls at 4 p.m.