BOSTON – Kenzley Bell became the second-known Ram to produce a triple double to lead Suffolk volleyball to a straight set victory over Becker at the Larry E. and Michael S. Smith Court Tuesday night.
SCORE: Suffolk 3 |Becker 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (11-5) | Becker (5-9)
SET ONE RECAP (25-18, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk leaped out to a 13-4 lead, earning all but one point on the attack or at the service line. The opening featured three kills from Kayla Barbera and one kills and two aces, respectively, by Hannah Fabiano.
- The Rams ran ahead by double digits on two occasions with the last coming at 24-14 on Fabiano's second kill of the night.
- Becker flew back late with four unanswered points to pull within six, 24-18, and force Scott Blanchard to use his first timeout of the evening.
- Out of the huddle, a service error by the Hawks locked up the first frame for the hosts.
SET TWO RECAP (25-10, SUFFOLK)
- Dakhensey Marcellus served three aces, two back-to-back, in a 6-0 Suffolk that put the hosts in front 12-4.
- A Becker break did not slow down Suffolk who built a hefty 13-point cushion, 20-7, after Fabiano registered back-to-back aces, the junior's third and fourth of the match.
- The Rams maintained the margin from there to take the set, 25-10.
SET THREE RECAP (25-20, SUFFOLK)
- With a new lineup on the hardwood the Hawks took advantage to grab an early edge, 10-6.
- A timeout helped the blue-and-gold gain its composure and it used a 6-2 stretch to level the playing field at 12-all.
- Back-to-back kills by Barbera pushed Suffolk ahead 14-12, a lead that grew to 18-15.
- Becker clawed back, however, and equazlied things at 19-all to keep things interesting.
- The Rams scored five straight points to put the set out of reach, 24-19.
- After a Suffolk service error, a Barbera kill sealed the day for the home team.
- Bell's night was one for the record books with a 12-assist, 11-dig, 10-kill effort along with a pair of blocks and one ace.
- Barbera contributed on both sides of the ball was well with 10 kills, four digs and one block.
- Sarah Mullahy and Stephanie Rheaume each pitched in six kills and two blocks.
- Emerson Martin added five kills and two digs.
- Harmony Johnson set up the bulk Suffolk's 40-kill offense with 22 assists.
- Marcellus chipped in six digs, four aces and a pair of handouts.
- Suffolk remains unbeaten all-time against Becker, 9-0.
- The blue-and-gold blanked the Hawks for the fifth time overall and second straight season.
- The Rams rattled off their third consecutive victory to match a season-best win streak.
- Bell's triple double is the first since Talia Lombardo '19 registered one against Curry in 2017. The two Rams are the only known student-athletes to have produced a triple-double in Suffolk volleyball history.
- Bell matched a personal-best two block assists.
- Marcellus had a career-high four aces.
- Rheaume matched a career-best six kills and one block solo.
- Monica Bolduk matched a personal-high one assist.
Suffolk hits the road Saturday, Oct. 5 for a GNAC tri-match at Colby Sawyer featuring Emmanuel. The Rams will battle their Beantown and conference foe in the Granite State first at 1 p.m., before taking on the Chargers at 3 p.m.