BOSTON – Suffolk volleyball swept Mass. Maritime, 3-0, Saturday afternoon to open a home tri match at the Larry E. and Michael S. Smith Court. The decision came by set scores 25-21, 25-9, and 25-21.
SCORE: Suffolk 3 | Mass. Maritime 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (8-4) | Mass. Maritime (1-8)
SET ONE RECAP (25-12, SUFFOLK)
- The Rams and Bucs traded points early on, leaving the score tied at 3-all.
- After a service error by the visitors, Suffolk scraped off a 10-0 run, half of which were aces from Kenzley Bell, to jump out to a 13-3 advantage.
- The Rams maintained their lead the rest of the way and continued on cruise control to take the set, 25-12.
SET TWO RECAP (25-9, SUFFOLK)
- It was all blue-and-gold in the second stanza as the hosts gained an early 6-0 lead, forcing a Bucs timeout.
- The Rams dominated out of the break, extending their lead to a 17-5 cushion.
- From there, Suffolk went on an 8-4 run to end the set.
SET THREE RECAP (25-21, SUFFOLK)
- Suffolk turned a 2-2 tie into a 6-4 edge.
- Mass. Maritime strung together two straight points to even the score at 6-all.
- The blue-and-gold found its groove answering with a 5-0 spurt to go ahead 14-7, causing a Bucs' timeout.
- Out of the break, MMA stormed back making it a four-point set, 21-17.
- Scott Blanchard was forced to use one of his timeouts to talk things over.
- The blue-and-gold were able to hold off the late Bucs rally, taking the set and match, 25-21.
- Jordan Smith anchored the defense with eight digs, while Dakhensey Marcellus contributed seven.
- Stephanie Rheaume and Emerson Martin paced the attack with five and four kills, respectively.
- Harmony Johnson finished the day with 13 assists to set up the Rams 21-kill attack.
- Kenzley Bell had an all-around outing with seven aces, four digs, four handouts and three kills.
- As a team, Suffolk served 15 aces.
- Suffolk kept its record against Mass. Maritime unblemished as it improved to 16-0 all-time versus the Bucs.
- The Rams have swept the Buccaneers in 12 of their 16 meetings which dates back to 1996.
- The sweep is Suffolk's second straight over MMA.
- Bell notched a career-high seven aces, five of which were served in succession in in the first frame.
- Michelle Lo dished out her first collegiate assist.
- Smith's eight digs were a personal-best for the freshman, who served the first ace of her collegiate career.
- Christina Hickey had a career-high two digs.
- Jessica Lutts matched a personal-best two digs.
- Monica Bolduk had the first kill of her collegiate campaign.
- Chryssabella Jones-Craig contributed her first block and kill in a Suffolk jersey.
Suffolk wraps up its home tri-match this afternoon against Castleton at 3 p.m.