BABSON PARK, MASS. – Suffolk volleyball landed in the losing column for the first time this season as it fell in straight sets to Manhattanville at the Babson Invitational at Staake Gymnasium Saturday afternoon.
SCORE: Suffolk 0 | Manhattanville 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (1-1) | Manhattanville (1-1)
SET ONE RECAP (25-16, MANHATTANVILLE)
- Suffolk's early 3-0 edge.
- Manhattanville caught up quickly and the field leveled five times with the last coming at 11 all.
- The Valiants went on a roll to put the Rams in a 17-13 hole.
- A kill from Sarah Mullahy stopped Manhattanville's run, but not for long as it outscored Suffolk, 8-2, to take the set, 25-16.
SET TWO RECAP (25-20, MANHATTANVILLE)
- The Rams trailed 8-5 at the midway and rattled off three quick points to lock the set at 8-8.
- In a stanza of runs, the Valiants used one of their own to grab a 12-8 advantage.
- Suffolk could not make up the ground from there despite a late 3-0 stretch.
SET THREE RECAP (25-20, MANHATTANVILLE)
- Down 11-7, Suffolk found itself in a 20-7 hole after Manhattanville strung together nine points.
- The Rams responded with eight unanswered points to trim the margin back to five, 20-15.
- The teams traded points, which kept the set in the Valiants' favor.
- Hannah Fabiano led the offense with a 10-kill offense. She added four digs and one assists.
- Kayla Barbera was one kill shy of a double-double performance as the junior supplied 13 digs and nine digs.
- Mullahy added six kills.
- Emerson Martin registered an eight-dig, seven-kill effort.
- Harmony Johnson set up the offense with 26 handouts. She was one dig shy of a double-double with nine to her credit.
- Suffolk met Manhattanville for the first time.
Suffolk closes at the Babson Invitational this afternoon against No. 20 Babson.