QUINCY, Mass. – The Suffolk volleyball team came out on the wrong side of a straight set non-conference match against Eastern Nazarene Thursday night at the Lions' Lahue Physical Education Center. The Rams setback came by set scores 25-17, 25-16 and 25-20.
SCORE: Suffolk 0, Eastern Nazarene 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (1-4) | Eastern Nazarene (5-2)
SET ONE RECAP (25-17, EASTERN NAZARENE)
- Suffolk jumped ahead to a 6-3 edge.
- Eastern Nazarene responded with seven straight points to shift the lead in its favor, 10-6.
- The Rams had to play catch up and pulled within three, 19-16.
- The Lions outscored the visitors 6-1 down the stretch to claim the 25-17 win.
SET TWO RECAP (25-16, EASTERN NAZARENE)
- A back-and-forth affair was present with Suffolk up one, 9-8, on a Sarah Mullahy kill.
- A 6-0 spurt by Eastern Nazarene put the Rams in five-point hole, 14-9, at the midway point.
- Suffolk climbed back within three, 17-14, thanks to three kills from Chidera Nwankwo.
- The Lions used two 3-0 runs to prevail 25-16 and double its lead to 2-0.
SET THREE RECAP (25-20, EASTERN NAZARENE)
- The Lions raced out to a 16-11 lead that blossomed into a 21-12 cushion.
- Suffolk fended off match point six times to cut the deficit to 24-20.
- The hosts sealed the victory with kill by Rebecca Thorne, which clinched the set, 25-20.
- Kayla Barbera was one kill shy of a double-double effort as the sophomore provided a team-high nine kills on a .318 connection rate to go along with 10 digs.
- Talia Lombardo handed out 24 assists to feed Suffolk's 31-kill attack, which he contributed four herself.
- Dakhensey Marcellus racked up 17 digs to anchor the defense.
- Bridget Allison pitched in on both sides of the ball with seven digs, one block, five kills, thanks to a .333 hitting percentage, three assists and one ace.
- As a team, Suffolk held the upper hand in kills, 31-29, blocks, 4-2, and digs, 49-45.
Suffolk heads over to Lasell Saturday, Sept. 15 for its first GNAC action and tri-match of the season. The Rams meet Albertus Magnus at 1 p.m., before taking on the Lasers at 3 p.m.