CHARLESTOWN, Mass. – The Suffolk men's hockey team collected its first Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) victory of the season as the Rams took down Western New England, 2-1, Thursday evening inside Emmons Horrigan O'Neil Memorial Rink.
SCORE: Suffolk 2, Western New England 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (2-4-0, 1-4-0 CCC) | Western New England (2-3-1, 1-3-1 CCC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk gained a 1-0 lead thanks to Brian Brooks' second goal in as many games as the sohpmore struck on a fast break with just over 10 minutes to play in the first frame. The Rams remained in front the rest of the way to head into the first intermission up by one.
Over the second set of 20 minutes Suffolk kept the Golden Bears off the scoreboard to maintain its edge. Michael Levine turned aside an impressive 18 attempts from WNE to keep it a 1-0 Suffolk game.
The Rams stretched their advantage to two goals just 2:21 into the final frame as Jack Jenkins put away his first goal of the year on the powerplay. With time ticking away the Golden Bears trimmed the deficit to one goal, as Tyler Hines scored at the 16:55 minute mark off the faceoff.
Levin and the Rams' defense kept the score there even with WNE pulling Kevin Gollmer for the final 11 seconds to give the blue-and-gold its first conference victory of the season.
- Connor Parent cleared the zone and found Brooks skate past the blue line. Brooks went on a breakaway and beat Gollmer to open up the scoring. Matt Bucher also had a hand in the goal.
- As Adam Giacomin was sent to the box for tripping, Suffolk took control and stretch its advantage to two. From the top of the right faceoff circle, Mikhail Bryan dished to Brendan Heinze on the right side of Gollmer. The junior forward slipped a pass Jenkins, who chipped the puck past into the back of the netting.
- David DiSchiavi won the faceoff sending the puck backwards to Hines who snipped a shot on the right upper deck. Hines' first goal of the season came with 3:05 remaining in the third frame.
- Six different Rams recorded a point in the win with Brooks and Jenkins scoring one goal apiece and Bucher, Bryan, Heinze and Parent all dishing out assists.
- The Golden Bears held a slim edge in shots, 36-35, while the Rams won the battle inside the faceoff circle, 46-40.
- Suffolk capitalized on one of its three man-up opportunities and successfully killed its pair of penalties.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Levine earned his second victory of the season thanks to a 35-save effort.
- Gollmer made 33 saves in the setback.
- Parent picked up his first point of the season with a helper on Brook's marker, while Bucher notched his first collegiate assist on the same strike.
- Jenkins put away his first goal of the year.
- Suffolk snapped a two-game skid versus the Golden Bears and improved to 18-14-2 dating back to 1999-2000.
- The Rams and Western New England met for the 34th time since the 1999-2000 season.
Suffolk and Western New England are set for a rematch Saturday, Nov. 18 when the Rams head to Springfield, Massachusetts for a 3 p.m. contest at the Olympia Ice Center.