PAXTON, Mass. – Less than three minutes into the first overtime, Addisyn Lanza potted the game-winner to break open a 2-all tie and push Suffolk women's soccer to a 3-2 victory over Anna Maria in GNAC action at AMCAT Field Wednesday night.
SCORE: Suffolk 3 | Anna Maria 2
RECORDS: Suffolk (4-2-0, 2-1-0 GNAC) | Anna Maria (3-3-1, 0-1-1 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
It took 52 minutes to get the scoring going and Suffolk was the team to strike first when Caitlin Ryan finished a cross from Caleigh O'Brien that just squeezed past a diving AMCAT keeper.
Anna Maria answered just five minutes later with a scoring cross of its own. Sydney Owen's feed fell at Sidney Eskildsen's cleats and she found the open net to even the playing field at one apiece.
The Rams took advantage of an AMCATs handball in the box, which set up O'Brien with a penalty kick. The junior connected on the PK to put Suffolk out in front again, 2-1.
The game looked to be locked up in the blue-and-gold's favor as less than a minute in regulation remained on the clock. Anna Maria had other things in mind, however, as Eskildsen scored on a header thanks to a cross set-up by Meaghan Morrone. Eskildsen's second goal of the day leveled the playing field once again and forced the extra session.
Suffolk worked quickly in overtime. O'Brien lofted a corner to Lanza, who was left unattended in front of the net. The junior slipped the rock to the back of the goal to secure the thrilling conference decision for the Rams.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KEEPERS
- Allison Rodrigues made six saves in the victory.
- Yokabaskas registered six saves in the setback.
- O'Brien put together a one-goal, two-assist stat line to finish with four points.
- Lanza and Ryan each netted on goal for the Rams with the former's counting as the game winner.
- Suffolk outshot Anna Maria, 18-12, including a 9-8 edge in shots on goal.
- The Rams held a hefty lead in corners, 10-3.
- The Rams and AMCATS played in overtime for the first time since 2015.
- Suffolk moved to 1-1 in extra time against Anna Maria.
- Suffolk won its third straight match against Anna Maria to move to 7-1 in the all-time series, which dates back to 2007.
- The Rams played in their third OT contest of 2019.
- Suffolk improved to 2-2-1 when playing in extra time in the Ashley Van Vechten's era.
- Lanza netted the first game winner of her career.
- O'Brien handed out a career-high two assists.
Suffolk wraps up the three-game road test Saturday, Sept. 28 with a trip to Regis on the schedule. Game time in Weston, Massachusetts, is scheduled for 4 p.m.