BOSTON – Five different players produced double figures in scoring to anchor Suffolk women's basketball's 82-64 triumph over Clark Tuesday night at the Larry E. and Michael S. Smith Court.
SCORE: Suffolk 82 | Clark 64
RECORDS: Suffolk (6-3) | Clark (3-7)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Despite Jenni-Rose DiCecco converting a steal into two points early on, Clark took an early 6-3 edge. A triple from Alexis Hackett leveled the playing field at 6-all. The senior's first, of what would be many three's on the night, sparked eight unanswered points by the Rams that put the hosts ahead, 11-6, with just over two minutes left in the opening frame.
It turned into a free throw contest over the final two minutes. Suffolk won the battle to remain ahead, 13-10, after the first 10 minutes.
The Cougars charged back in the opening portion of the second stanza to pull within one, 19-18, but the Rams responded with eight consecutive points, their second 8-0 run of the night, to take a 27-18 advantage at the 6:34minute mark.
Another Clark comeback came as it went on a scoring stretch of its own with 14 straight points to flip the script in its favor, 32-27.
Ed Leyden used a timeout to calm down his squad and the huddle helped as the Rams put in the final three points of the second quarter to trim the distance to two, 32-30, at the half.
Out of the locker room, Hackett hit a three to spark a stunning Suffolk third quarter where the hosts outscored the Cougars, 29-9. The captain's third tripe of the night jump started 10-1 stretch that pushed the Rams' cushion to 10, 45-35, which blossomed to a 59-41 distance after 30 minutes.
Each team put up 23 points in the fourth frame, but thanks to Suffolk's standout third quartet action, the Rams held on for the 82-64 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Hackett had a day with a game-high 23 points behind an 8-for-13 showing from the floor, which including a 7-for-11 from downtown. She grabbed 12 caroms to complete the double-double, dished out three assists and had three blocks.
- Gabriella DeComo provided 12 points on a 50 percent (5-1) connection rate from the field with four helpers, three rebounds and one steal to her credit.
- DiCecco distributed seven assists, produced 11 points, five boards, five steals and one swat.
- Emily Welling registered 10 points, seven rebounds, two blocks and two steals.
- Natalie Fraioli rounded out the five Rams in double digits with 10 points, with a pair of triples. She added four helpers, one block and one steal.
- Suffolk won back-to-back battles against Clark for the first-time in program history.
- The Rams improved to 3-1 versus the Cougars all-time.
- Hackett had her second straight double-double, fourth of the season and 29th of her collegiate career.
- Hackett matched her personal-best 23 points with seven three-pointers made for the second straight game and third time in her career.
- DeComo matched a personal-high four helpers.
- Welling matched a career-best two steals.
- Fraioli matched a career-high two treys made and one block and dished out a personal-best four helpers.
Suffolk's first semester season finale is set for Thursday, Dec. 12 on the friendly hardwood at the Larry E. and Michael S. Smith Court against Bridgewater State. Game time is scheduled for 5 p.m.