BOSTON – Georgia Bourikas notched her 1,000th career points as the Suffolk women's basketball team cruised past Anna Maria, 92-57, Thursday night inside Regan Gymnasium to remain unbeaten versus the AMCATs all-time.
SCORE: Suffolk 92, Anna Maria 57
RECORDS: Suffolk (15-5, 8-3 GNAC) | Anna Maria (3-17, 2-9 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After the score equalized three times, Jenni-Rose DiCecco sandwiched two hoops from downtown to give the Rams' a 10-7 edge. Alexis Hackett then poured in five consecutive points to turn the hosts lead into 18-12.
Suffolk limited the AMCATS over the remaining 2:53 to just two points and scored six themselves to hold a 24-15 lead at the end of the first quarter.
Anna Maria was no match for the Rams in the second stanza as Suffolk outscored the visitors, 30-11, to turn their advantage into a 54-26 cushion at the half.
After being held to just two points over the first 20 minutes, Bourikas wasted no time to seal up her spot in Suffolk's record book with the senior converting on Suffolk's first possession of the third quarter to surpass the coveted 1,000-point milestone.
Bourikas added six most points over the next three minutes to stretch Suffolk's advantage to 64-29 with nearly seven minutes to go in the third.
Froom there the Rams put it on cruise controlling, building a 77-36 cushion after three quarters that turned into a 92-57 final margin.
- DiCecco paced a trio of Rams in double figures with the freshman floor general pouring in 21 on a 7-for-15 effort from the field and a 50 percent connection rate (4-8) from three-point range. She dished out eight assists, while also adding four boards and four steals.
- Hackett performed on both ends of the hardwood, providng 14 points and eight rebounds. The sophomore shot 50 percent (6-12) from the floor.
- Off the bench, Gabriella DeComo contributed 12 points, converting 50 percent (5-10) of her attempts.
- Bourikas finished the night with eight points on a 4-for-6 showing from the field.
- As a team, the Rams shot 51.4 percent (36-70) from the field, 48.1 percent (13-27) from behind-the-arc and 63.6 percent (7-11) at the line.
- Each team grabbed 42 rebounds.
- Bourikas and Nagri each joined an elite group of Rams this evening as the pair appeared in their 100th collegiate contest as Suffolk University student-athletes. The duo are now just the 18th and 19th Rams to accomplish the feat and first to do so since Kelsey Schiebel '17 did so last season in 2017.
- With her second hoop and fourth point of the night, Bourikas clinched her spot in Suffolk women's basketball history as the 14th member of the Rams' 1,000-point club. She is the first player in blue-and-gold to eclipse 1,000 points Iliana Quadri '14 did so in 2014.
- DiCecco registered double figures for the 14th time in her collegiate career.
- Hackett had double digits in scoring for the fourth consecutive contest and 11th time overall this year.
- DeComo had double figures for second time in her career.
- Mya Blazejowski matched her personal best with nine points on a 3-for-4 performance from beyond-the-arc.
- Suffolk remains undefeated all-time versus Anna Maria, capturing its sixth win over the AMCATs all-time.
Suffolk heads out on the road for the next two matches and it will first visit Mount Ida, Saturday, Feb. 3 to wrap up a three-game week. Game time is scheduled for 1 p.m.