BOSTON – The Suffolk women's basketball team extended its win streak to nine straight with a 70-54 victory over Albertus Magnus Saturday afternoon inside Regan Gymnasium.
SCORE: Suffolk 70, Albertus Magnus 54
RECORDS: Suffolk (11-2, 4-0 GNAC) | Albertus Magnus (9-4, 3-2 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Alexis Hackett broke open a 7-all time with a set of freebies that jump started an 8-1 run that gave Suffolk a 15-8 lead at the midway point of the first quarter. The Falcons outscored the Rams, 9-6 down the stretch to trim Suffolk's advantage to 21-17 after the first 10 minutes.
Albertus Magnus pulled within three twice over the opening two minutes of the second stanza, but Suffolk kept the Falcons at bay with four quick points, all by Georgia Bourikas. From there, the Rams built their lead to as many as nine, an advantage they would take into halftime, 37-28.
Suffolk gained a 43-28 cushion as it kept the Falcons off the scoreboard for nearly the first five minutes of the third quarter. The Rams' margin grew to as many as 22 points, 53-32, as Jordan Hipwell put away a traditional three-point play with 30 seconds left in the third quarter.
The Falcons shot out in the fourth, which was a tight back-and-forth battle, but Suffolk's advantage stood true as the Rams went on to lock up the 70-54 win.
- Bourikas finished the afternoon with a game-high 20 points, shooting 50 percent (5-10) from the floor and an impressive 9-for-10 effort at the charity stripe. The senior guard pulled down 13 rebounds including eight on the defensive end to go along with a pair of assists.
- Hackett also shot 50 percent (7-14) and together a double-double with 18 points and 12 caroms, nine of which came on the defense end. The forwarded added two assists, two blocks and two steals.
- Hipwell registered 14 points on a 6-for-15 showing from the field. The freshman forwarded grabbed seven boards and had three steals.
- As a team Suffolk shot 42.4 percent (25-59) from the floor and 76.2 percent (16-21) from the free throw line.
- The Rams held a slim 41-40 edge on the glass.
- Suffolk ran its win streak to nine, which is the longest since winning 12 consecutive contests in the 2000-01 season.
- The Rams won their ninth straight over Albertus Magnus to improve to 16-7 all-time versus the Falcons.
- Bourikas poured in her second double-double of the season. She has now scored in 20-plus points four times this season and dropped double digits on 10 occasions this season.
- Hackett contributed her eighth double-double with her 10th game overall and seventh straight contest with double figure rebounds. She has now scored in double figures seven times this season.
- Hipwell recorded double digit points for the fifth time in her collegiate career.
- Bourikas pulled down a career-high 13 rebounds.
- Hipwell notched a career-best three steals.
- Ed Leyden used the starting five of Jenni-Rose DiCecco, Alexandra Nagri, Bourikas, Hackett and Hipwell for the 12th straight contest. That lineup improved to 11-1.
Suffolk is set for a Rams' basketball doubleheader Thursday, Jan. 18. The women's team will open the action at 5 p.m. versus Norwich with the men's team closing the evening against Emmanuel at 7 p.m.