CLERMONT, Fla. – Behind RBIs from McKenzie McGrath and Madison Eucalitto, the Suffolk softball overcame an early one-run deficit with three in the sixth to take down Gordon, 4-2, Thursday morning at Legends Way Park as part of The Spring Games.
SCORE: Suffolk 4, Gordon 2
RECORDS: Suffolk (5-4) | Gordon (2-7)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Fighting Scots got on the board in the bottom of the fifth. and Suffolk had to climb back from there. It took multiple innings to do so, however, as the Rams stranded base runners second, fourth and fifth.
The Rams rally came in the sixth with Devlin Frost leading off the frame with a single to right field. Delaney Sylvester's single moved the center fielder to second before she ran in the tying run on a single knock by Ashley Zulla to left. McGrath followed with a single of her own, but Grave Boehler, who replaced Sylvester on the bags, was out at third to put two outs on the board. A wild pitch moved Zulla and McGrath into scoring position to set up Eucalitto's go-ahead two-RBI single to left, which gave Suffolk a 3-1 lead.
Gordon did not go down without a fight as it responded with a heavy hit home half of the sixth. Pinch hitter Emily Kline worked a full count into a deep triple to the center field fence and cut the deficit to one on a 43 ground out. With two dead, the Fighting Scots continued to hang around and loaded the bags. Backed by the defense, Taylor Holmes showed her composure in the circle and partnered with Delaney Sylvester on the final out of the inning, a 12 fielder's choice at the plate to keep the Rams in front, 3-2.
Suffolk tacked on an insurance run in the seventh as Delaney Sylvester brought in her sister, Payton Sylvester. The siblings each recorded singles to left to stretch the blue-and-gold's edge to two, 4-2, at the end of the top of the seventh.
Hannah DelCervo came out to close for the Rams and did just that with the junior twirler fanning all three of Gordon's final hitters, two swinging and one looking, to clinch the 4-2 win for Suffolk.
- Holmes earned her second victory in as many outings with a two-run, five-hit, one-walk, four-strikeout day.
- DelCervo picked up her first save as she sat down three hitters in the bottom of the seventh.
- Jasmine Mullahy slipped to 1-4 on the season. The pitcher allowed four runs on 13 hits and one walk with a pair of Ks.
- Zulla performed at the plate for the Rams with a 3-for-4 effort with one RBI and one run scored.
- McGrath went 2-for-3 at the dish with one run.
- Frost and Delaney Sylvester each put together a 2-for-4 day at the day. The former scored one run, while the latter brought one in.
- Eucalitto's lone hit of the outing produced a pair of RBI.
- Sydney Littlefield (1-4) and Payton Sylvester (1-3, 1 R) also contributed to Suffolk's offense.
- DelCervo tallied her first collegiate save.
- DelCervo matched her career-best strikeouts with three.
- McGrath notched her third consecutive contest with multiple hits. In that span she has gone 7-for-9 in plate appearances with two RBI.
- Eucalitto had a season-best two RBI.
Suffolk caps off its 10-game Spring Break trip this afternoon against Anderson.