BABSON PARK, Mass. – Suffolk men's hockey opened it's final week of the 2019-20 regular-season with a 4-1 setback to No. 6 Babson Monday night at the Babson Skating Center.
SCORE: Suffolk 4 | No. 6 Babson 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (6-15-2, 2-12-2 NEHC) | No. 6 Babson (17-4-2, 12-3-1 NEHC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Both teams got on the scoreboard inside the first five minutes on the ice. Suffolk struck first as Phil Kreuser put away a set-up from Brian Brooks 1:46 into the contest, but the Beavers responded 3:35 later to keep things interesting.
Despite the Rams commanding the bulk of the opening 20 minutes, outshooting Babson, 8-6, the score stood still with ones on either side of the scoreboard as the teams skated to the dressing rooms.
Things remained tied until late in the second stanza when the Beavers scored twice in a 2:58 span. The go-ahead, eventual game-winning goal, came on the power play from Mike Egan with help from Connor Dahlman and John Corrigan at the 14:31 minute mark. Christian Faggas made it a two-goal gap less than three minutes. That 3-1 margin stood as the teams headed to the locker room for the second time.
Just 3:33 into the third period Nick Rosa tacked on an insurance tally for the Beavers, who did not let up another Suffolk scored, to skate away with the 4-1 victory.
- Jarret Bovarnick registered 37 stops in the setback.
- Brad Arvanitis secured 19 saves in the win.
- Kreuser scored Suffolk's only goal.
- Brooks handed out the Rams only assist.
- Babson outshot Suffolk, 41-20, and one the face-off battle by identical figures.
- Kreuser is the first Suffolk skater to score against Babson since Miller Rubin did so at the 11:40 minutes mark of an 8-3 setback to the Beavers Jan. 26, 2019.
- Bovarnick started his first collegiate game.
- Bovarnick notched a personal-best 37 saves.
Suffolk wraps up the regular season on the road this weekend when it heads to Castleton and No. 1 Norwich. The Rams visit the Spartans Friday, Feb. 14 at 7 p.m., before clashing with the Cadets Saturday, Feb. 15 at 4 p.m.