WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – The Suffolk men's basketball team took the Ducks of Stevens into overtime in the semifinal matchup of the Williams Tip-Off Tournament, but the Rams came out on the losing side, falling 85-79.
SCORE: Suffolk 79, Stevens 85
RECORDS: Suffolk (1-1) | Stevens (1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk raced out to a 42-32 lead at the half. Despite leading by as many as 13 early in the second half, the Rams started turning the ball over, allowing Stevens to storm back into the game. Aided by an aggressive full court press, the stingy Stevens defense forced 14 total turnovers in the game.
With 7:53 remaining, the Ducks regained the lead 56-55. The remainder of regulation was a see-saw affair where neither team could create much separation.
With 38.0 seconds on the clock in regulation, Thomas Duffy sank two clutch free throws to tie the game at 70. After a defensive stop, Duffy had a good look from the right corner for the game winner as time expired, but the sophomore's shot rolled in and out.
Both offenses came out firing in the extra session, trading baskets for the first few minutes. Spencer Cook drained a midrange jump shot with 34.0 seconds left to put the Ducks up 82-79. After a clutch stop, Frank Amari was fouled and hit both free throws to ensure victory for Stevens.
- Duffy led the way for Suffolk for the second straight game with 24 points thanks to a 4-for-7 effort from behind-the-arc and a 6-for-10 showing at the charity stripe.
- Jim Djema added 16 points with four assists and a pair of steals.
- Michael Hagopian and Alex Jacovides also produced double digits for Suffolk with 12 and 11, respectively.
- Brendan Mulson led Suffolk on the glass with seven boards and chipped in eight points.
- The Ducks outrebounded the Rams 43-33 including an 8-0 edge on the offensive boards.
- Stevens received 34 points from its reserves compared to Suffolk's 17.
- Suffolk and Stevens met for the first time.
- The Rams played in overtime for the first time in the Jeff Juron era and first time since taking down Rivier, 79-70 in OT Jan. 8, 2015.
- Duffy produced 20-plus points for the second time in as many games and third time in his career.
- Duffy matched his career high four treys, which he set in the 2017-18 season opener.
- Jacovides recorded a career-high 11 points and four rebounds.
Suffolk will play Salem State in the consolation game of the Williams Tip-Off Tournament Saturday, Nov. 18 at 2 p.m.