HARWICH, Mass. – Suffolk baseball saw its 2018 season come to a close Friday afternoon as the Rams fell to Mitchell, 9-3, at Whitehouse Field in an elimination contest of the NCAA DIII New England Regionals.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Mitchell 9
RECORDS: Suffolk (25-19) | Mitchell (31-9)
HOW IT HAPPENED
With two outs and Trevor Lee on second thanks to a walk followed by a failed pickoff attempt, Greg Speliotis single down the left field line scored the runner to give the Rams a 1-0 lead.
An inning later, the Rams loaded the bases and stretched its edge to three. Blasé Cormier led off with a walk before Tim Brigham advanced the rookie to third thanks to a double down the left field line. Shane Lane drew a base-on-balls to juice the bags and two batters later Lee sent a single deep into left field to plate Cormier and Brigham.
The Mariners made up ground and then some in the home half of the second. A handful of walks, a Rams erratic throw and a sac fly flipped the score to 6-3 in Mitchell's favor.
Looking to make-up ground Suffolk was limited down the stretch and Mitchell added an insurance run in the sixth and a pair in the eighth to hold off a Rams comeback.
- Mark Fusco suffered the setback after allowing seven runs (six earned) on three hits and six walks over 6.0 innings with the senior RHP sitting down a pair of batters.
- Jake Flax gave up two runs on two hits and one walk over 2.0 frames of relief with one punchout to his credit.
- Roland Thivierge earned the victory thanks to 7.1 innings of scoreless relief work. He had a five-hit, three-walk and four-strikeout outing to improve to 2-1.
- Jakari Pellegrini started on the hill for the Mariners and allowed three runs on three hits and three walks in the first 1.2 innings of action.
- Speliotis, Cormier and Brigham each had multiple hit days for the blue-and-gold with two hits apiece.
- Lee had two RBI, while Speliotis brought in one run.
- Lee, Cormier and Brigham each scored once for Suffolk.