WORCESTER, Mass. – Suffolk baseball hung with No. 22/24 Oswego State through four innings before the Lakers went on a rally in the fifth to put the game just out of reach for the Rams in the NCAA Division III New England Regionals Thursday night at Clark University's Granger Field.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, No. 22/24 Oswego State 13
RECORDS: Suffolk (25-18) | No. 22/24 Oswego State (27-12)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Lakers broke open the scoring in the bottom of the second with a pair of runs before the Rams responded with two runs of their own in the top of the third. Three straight walks chucked the bags before a sac fly by Seth Coiley cut the deficit in half. A batter later Greg Speliotis' single to center plated Rich Gilbride to level the playing field.
The score held from there until Ryan Enos barreled a two RBI shot to left field to put Oswego State in front by two for the second time.
Looking to make a dent in the Lakers' lead, Brady Chant tled off the fifth with a triple, but was stranded on third to keep the Rams in a two-run hole. Oswego State put together a two-out rally in the home half of the fifth with eight runs including a grand slam by Mike Dellicer to make it a 12-2 lopsided contest.
Suffolk had a pair of base runners thanks to two base-on-balls but could not capitalize to keep it a 10-run game. Oswego State added to its cushion with one run in the sixth and the score held there heading into the ninth.
The Rams took advance of a wild pitch in the ninth, but there was too much ground to make up as the Lakers secured the final out to take the 13-3 victory.
- Ryan Pordes worked the hill for the first 4.2 innings for the Rams. The senior starter gave up 12 runs (six earned) on eight hits, five walks and three strikeouts.
- Charles Batchelder (1.1 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 3 Ks), Tyler Zell (1.0, 0 R, 2 H) and Parker Browne (1.0 IP, 0 R, 1 H) came out of the pen in relief for the Rams.
- Reston Pettit picked up the win for the Lakers behind a two-run, four-hit, five-walk, seven-strikeout effort over 7.0 innings.
- Chant paced at the plate with the senior centerfielder accounting for half of Suffolk's hits with two for extra-bases – a double and a triple.
- Coiley and Speliotis each had one RBI to their credit.
- Speliotis had one hit on his stat line.
- Blasé Cormier went 2-for-3.
- Gilbride,Joe Rufo and Shake Lake scored the runs for the Rams.
- Chant sealed his spot as Suffolk's leader in total bases with 362 over the course of his career.
Suffolk slips into the loser's bracket and looks to stay alive tomorrow, Friday, May 18 when it takes on sixth-seed Mitchell at 1 p.m. at Whitehouse Field in Harwich, Massachusetts.