NORTHFIELD, Vt. – Suffolk's baseball team continued its strong GNAC play with its fourth conference doubleheader sweep, downing Norwich, 11-2, in the nightcap Saturday at Garrity Field to capture the program's 1000th victory.
SCORE: Suffolk 11, Norwich 2
RECORDS: Suffolk (15-15, 9-1 GNAC) | Norwich (2-19, 2-4 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk broke open a scoreless game in the third as Rich Gilbride tripled to start the inning off and raced home on an unassisted, first base ground out by Brady Chant. A walk by Trevor Lee and base hit to left field by Seth Coiley set up Rich Ginadrea's RBI single. Coiley then came in on a sac fly by Will Hopkins to put the Rams in front, 3-0.
The Rams sandwiched doubles around one out in the fifth to add to their advantage. Chant led off with a hit for two bases to center before Coiley found a spot in left field to bring his classmate in. For the second time on the day, Hopkins scored Coiley as the freshman singled to center to stretch the distance to five runs after five frames.
In the sixth, a pair of walks put runners on first and second before Chant singled to left field to make it a six-run Suffolk score.
Norwich responded in the home half the inning with a pair of runs, but could not catch up to the Rams, who had a monster five-run seventh to secure the 11-2 victory.
- Mark Fusco improved to 4-2 on the season and remains undefeated against conference counterparts (3-0) as the senior RHP let up just two runs on four hits and one walk with six Ks.
- Norwich's starter Andrew Fisher allowed six runs on 11 hits, three walks and five strikeouts through 6.0 innings.
- Peter Madsen worked the final frame on the hill for the Cadets. The relief arm gave up five runs off four hits and three walks and sat down one of the 10 batters he faced.
- Two of Chant's three hits were doubles as the centerfield recorded four RBI, scored twice and stole one base.
- Coiley matched Chant's three-hit output with one double for three RBi and two runs.
- Blasé Cormier had a 3-for-4 day at the dish with one RBi and one run.
- Gilbride put together a 2-for-2 showing at the plate with one triple, a pair of walks and two runs scored.
- Giandrea tallied two hits and one RBI to go along with one stolen base.
- Hopkins brought in two runs on one hit and one sac fly.
- Suffolk became the 66th NCAA Division III to win 1000 contests and first-ever GNAC school to accomplish the feat.
- The Rams now sit 1000-715-9 (.583) all-time in program history.
- Suffolk swept Norwich for the fourth straight season to improve to 38-1 all-time and remain unbeaten all-time versus the Cadets with Anthony Del Prete on the bench.
- Chant (4) and Coiley (3) each had a season-best RBI.
- Giandrea registered a career-high two hits.
Suffolk returns to the friendly confines of East Boston Memorial Park tomorrow, Sunday, April 22 for a double feature with Rivier. First pitch is set for 1 p.m.