EAST BOSTON – With the score locked at 1-all, Suffolk baseball put together a two-run fifth frame and held onto the lead to stop Lasell, 3-1, in the nightcap and secure the sweep of the GNAC doubleheader at East Boston Memorial Park Sunday.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Lasell 1
RECORDS: Suffolk (8-13, 3-0 GNAC) | Lasell (3-11, 2-2 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Lasell got on the scoreboard first in the home half of the third and Suffolk responded in the top of the fourth. With one down, Greg Speliotis sent the ball deep to the right field fence and raced to third base to get into scoring position Blasé Cormier picked up the RBI on the next at bat, a 43 ground out, to level the playing field at 1-all.
Suffolk got things going in the fifth with one out as well. Ben Isaak sent a double down the left field line and two batters later Trevor Lee switched places with Isaak with an identical shot on the opposite side of the field to give the Rams their first lead of the day. Will Hopkins secured a two-run edge with a single down the left field line that brought in Lee to give the Rams a 2-1 lead.
Kevin Sinatra held down the hill for Suffolk the remainder of the way allowing just one base runner in the bottom of the fifth and sixth, respectively, before retiring the side in the seventh to secure the 3-1 win for the Rams.
- Sinatra went the distance as the junior southpaw gave up just one run on six hits and no walks with three strikeouts.
- David Marsell dealt the entire 7.0 frames for the Lasers. The starter, who slipped to 0-1 on the season, allowed three runs on five hits and two walks despite sitting down seven hitters.
- Five different Rams' bats accounted for Suffolk's five hits: Lee (1-3), Hopkins (1-2), Speliotis (1-3), Cormier (1-3), Isaak (1-3).
- Lee, Isaak and Speliotis scored the runs for Suffolk, with Lee, Hopkins and Cormier all bringing in one run apiece.
- Speliotis, Hopkins and Isaak each had extra-base hits. Speliotis rocked one triple with Hopkins and Isaak each recording one double apiece.
- Suffolk swept Lasell for the third consecutive year
- The Rams rattled off their eighth straight victory over the Lasers to improve to 24-1 all-time versus Lasell.
- Speliotis hit the first triple of his collegiate career.
- Cormier extended his hit streak to five straight games.
- Sinatra earned his first win of the season.
Suffolk steps out of conference contests as the Rams are scheduled for a midweek match at Wheaton Wednesday, April 11. Game time is set for begin at 4:00 p.m.