BOSTON – Suffolk volleyball saw its five-match win streak come to a halt Wednesday night to the hands of nationally ranked Johnson & Wales. The No. 17 Wildcats swept the Rams in GNAC action by set scores 25-11, 25-8 and 25-11.
SCORE: Suffolk 0 | No. 17 Johnson & Wales 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (14-6, 5-1 GNAC) | No. 17 Johnson & Wales (15-3, 5-0 GNAC)
SET ONE RECAP (25-11, JOHNSON & WALES)
- Down 8-2, Suffolk coupled back-to-back points for the first time on a pair of Wildcat miscues to slice the margin in half.
- The Rams' offense got going as Hannah Fabiano and Harmony Johnson produced consecutive kills to pull the hosts within three, 9-6.
- JWU took control using a 7-1 spurt wrapped around a blue-and-gold break to push its advantage to 16-7.
- A Rams' rally never came as the Wildcats maintain momentum to take the set.
SET TWO RECAP (25-8, JOHNSON & WALES)
- Johnson & Wales flirted with taking a double digit lead early on as it led, 10-1.
- Fabiano caught on fire and put together her own 3-1 stretch, all of which were kills in the span, to cut the distance down to seven, 11-4.
- The Wildcat's double figure cushion did come AT 15-5 and the visitors built on that to lock up the frame.
SET THREE RECAP (25-11, JOHNSON & WALES)
- A seven-straight point JWU opening forced Scott Blanchard to use his first timeout early.
- The huddle did not stymie the Wildcats, who kept their scoring ways going with four more points in a row to make it a lopsided 11-0 score in their favor.
- Kaleigh Khanna put the Rams on the board with her first kill of the night to jump start a 4-0 stretch that made things interesting.
- Suffolk hung with the Wildcats, but not for long as the visitors surged ahead and outscored the Rams 9-3 to seal the deal.
- Fabiano anchored the Rams offense and definitely with six kills and nine digs.
- Khannah added four kills, while Kayla Barbera pitched in three with a monstrous solo block.
- Johnson handed out 13 assists to go along with four digs and one kill.
- Monica Bolduk was responsible for the Rams' lone ace.
Suffolk wraps up the short, two-match week at Anna Maria Saturday, Oct. 12 at 12 p.m.