BOSTON – Suffolk volleyball looks to reenter the win column Thursday, Sept. 19 when it hosts Salem State in a rematch. The tangle at the Larry E. and Michael S. Smith Court is scheduled for a 7 p.m. first serve.
LET'S TALK ABOUT #RAMNATION
RamNation has a chance to keep up with all the latest news and notes on Suffolk Athletics, its student-athletes and teams by following the Rams on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
LAST TIME OUT
Suffolk volleyball saw its three-match win streak come to an end Tuesday night as the Rams were swept by Gordon at the Larry E. and Michael S. Smith Court. The non-conference setback came by set scores 25-19, 25-20 and 25-23.
MORE READING: Gordon Snaps Volleyball's Streak in Straight Sets
Suffolk saw its three-match win streak come to a halt Tuesday night when it fell to Gordon in straight sets to dip to 6-4 on the season.
Hannah Fabiano's 2.69 kps paces the offensive output that sees Kayla Barbera and Sarah Mullahy each provide 2.14 kps. Harmony Johnson has taken on the bulk of the setting responsibilities, dishing out 7.83 aps. The rookie receives help in the setter's role from her classmate, Kenzley Bell, who has 2.33 aps to her credit.
Bell is the defensive backbone with a team-best 4.61 dps. Barbara and Marcellus are consistent contributors to the defensive effort as well with 2.54 dps and 2.43 dps, respectively. Mullahy's 0.36 bps leads the effort at the net.
Salem State opened its 2019 slate against Suffolk Sept. 7. The Rams swept the Vikings and since then, SSU has fallen in four straight matches, all in straight sets, to enter Thursday's tilt, 0-5 on the year.
Sarah Janco (1.73 kps) and Alexandra Maloney (1.38 kps) lead the Vikings' attack, that is set up by Morgan Adams' 4.53 aps.
Defensively, Danielle Sheehan's 3.23 dps is top on the team. The sophomore receives help from Emily Hennessy (2.60 dps), Genevieve Kempster (2.53 dps) and Darcy McDowell (0.45 bps).
WE MEET AGAIN
The Suffolk volleyball team capped off its first tri-match of the year with a straight set decision over Salem State at Colby's Wadsworth Gymnasium Sept. 7. The Rams sweep came by set scores of 25-15, 25-16 and 25-8.
MORE READING: Volleyball Blanks Salem State
INSIDE THE SERIES
- Suffolk and Salem state have met since the 2004 season and will face each other for the second time in 2019 Thursday.
- The Rams hold an all-time advantage of 12-4 over the Vikings.
- Suffolk swept SSU, 3-0, in the foes first match in 2019 Sept. 7, 2019.
- The series has seen three sweeps, all of which the Rams have won.
- Overall, the Rams and Vikings have gone to four sets 11 times with Suffolk boasting an 8-3 advantage.
- Only two matches between Suffolk and Salem State went the distance. Each squad has won a five-set thriller. The last time the Rams took a five-set match against Salem was in 2013, while the Vikings' five-set win was the first-ever meeting between the foes in 2004.
Suffolk remains in the Ridgeway Building for its first home tri-match of the season this Saturday, Sept. 21. The Rams will first host Mass. Maritime at 11 a.m., before wrapping up the day against Castleton at 3 p.m.