NEWTON, Mass. – The Suffolk women's basketball strolled past Lasell, 57-36, to lift the lid on its GNAC portion of its 2017-18 schedule Wednesday night at the Athletic Center.
SCORE: Suffolk 57, Lasell 36
RECORDS: Suffolk (4-2, 1-0 GNAC) | Lasell (2-2, 0-1 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Rams got out to a quick lead early in the opening quarter and held on throughout the game for the win. Suffolk's stingy defense limited the Lasers top scorer, Morgan Church, who entered the contest averaging 24.0 points per game, to a 1-of-6 effort from the floor despite her best efforts to get hot early. Church received help from Jamie Caron and freshman Meghan Carroll to keep the Lasers close with the Rams throughout the first 10 minutes, but Suffolk remained in front, 14-11.
A hot hand from Jordan Hipwell helped the Rams outscore the Lasers, 22-13, in the second quarter to put the Rams ahead 36-24 at the half.
The third got off to a slow start as both teams were playing solid defense. Two steals from Lasell sophomore Dana Ross and senior Becca Fenton gave the Lasers hope in for a comeback in the third, but the hosts could not overcome the deficit. The Rams held on in the fourth to take the win.
- Hipwell led a well-balanced Suffolk attack as the freshmen shot 7-for-8 from the field to finish the night with 14 points. She led Suffolk's commanding 49-rebound effort with nine of her own including six on the defensive end.
- Georgia Bourikas joined Hipwell with double digits, contributing 11 points on a 3-for-8 performance from the field. The senior co-captain pitched in seven boards and two assists.
- Off the bench, Shannon Smith did not miss from the floor, going 3-for-3 for eight points to go along with three blocks and a pair of caroms.
- Suffolk dominated the boards, outrebounding the Lasers 49-30.
- The Rams finished the outing with a 42.9 connection rate (21-49) from the field and struggled from behind-the-arc, shooting just 22.2 percent (4-18), but made up for it at the line with a 61.1 connection rate (11-18) at the free throw line.
- Suffolk won its 16th GNAC opener.
- The Rams opened conference action on the road for the 13th time.
- Suffolk remains undefeated all-time versus Lasell, moving to 11-0 in the all-time series with the Lasers.
- Hipwell recorded a career-best 14 points on an impressive career-high 87.5 percentage from the field (7-8).
- The Rams coupled back-to-back wins together for the second-time this season.
Suffolk is back in action Saturday, Dec. 2 when it entertains Mount Ida. The Rams and Mustangs will be play in the first game of a Suffolk basketball doubleheader. Tip-off of the women's game is set for 1 p.m. with the men set to follow at 3 p.m. against Saint Joseph's (Maine).